View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM  
Zer0Racer

Default Refresh dir on transfer "bug"

Edited whole post because problem probably wasn't due to "Update directory cache during transfer" (with "Cache directories" disabled).

First found this problem two years ago http://www.inicom.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4049

SCENARIO:
Say I want to send a dir first from one site to another and then to another; A -> B -> C.
The dir is not complete on B when queued, but is complete when transfer starts to C.

• Queue dir from site A to site B
• Start the transfer, then pause after one or a couple of files (so that dir is created on B)
• Disconnect from A on [L], connect to site C on [L]
• Queue dir (site C) [L] <- [R] (site B)
• Click "Go" to transfer the rest of the files A -> B, and so that dir will be transferred from B -> C when A -> B transfer is finished.

Perfect! Now I can leave the computer and go do something else and wait for the whole queue to finish. It's a valid scenario isn't it? What if the scenario was corporate and was critical files that were added in the last minute?

PROBLEM:
Since ffxp is still inside the dir (on destination B that now is source for transfer to destination C) when the first transfer finishes it doesn't LIST the directory (on B) before it starts to transfer same dir to C. Therefore not transferring all files in the dir from B -> C.

POSSIBLE FIXES:
Imo FlashFXP should LIST at least once on source site before it starts to transfer it. Why? Well, it's a directory and a new item in the queue. Regardless if the user happens to be inside that dir and idle for N seconds or minutes or uploading files for N minutes, or hours depending on size and speed, before transfer of the queued directory begins. It should transfer what it has in the queue (a directory), not just the files it happens to think exist inside the dir since last list command. FlashFXP's behaviour would be even smarter than it is today!

It doesn't have to refresh after every file transfer, though an option for that also (for us not using dir cache) would be great. It would certainly solve this somewhat odd problem. I don't use the directory cache in FlashFXP, and don't want to be forced to use it either.

Thanks
/ZR

And regarding "Update directory cache during transfer", my suggestion is to;
• Make "Update dir..." greyed when dir cache is not enabled, but remember "Update dir..." enabled/disabled-state for when/if dir cache is enabled.
• And maybe move options "Cache directories" and "Update dir..." to same page/line in options.
• Or rename/change it to "Update directory during transfer" and make it work for both regular list and dir cache (if used).

* FlashFXP v[3].[3].[6], build [1125], [•]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [•] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [ ] Yes & Model [ ], [•] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [•] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [ ] No
* Running Antivirus [•] Yes, Name [ ] or [ ] No
* Network [•] xDSL, [ ] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other