View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 AM  
Webkikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxed
You can't see the forest through the tree. Meaning that you need to step back and look at the broader perspective of things.

Any company has to manage and balance their resources effectively, or they won’t be business for very long. ioFTPD generates little income for IniCom, therefore little time is spent on it. The majority of their efforts are focused on other projects…projects that do pay the bills.

I understand your frustration, but personally, I think you’re blaming the wrong entity. Darkone promised IniCom, and the ioFTPD community, to deliver the long awaited v1.0 release. Instead, he delivered a vastly incomplete and barely functioning core, took his paycheck, and disappeared for reasons unknown. IniCom is just as frustrated as the rest of us are, so try to be a little more sympathetic and considerate. IniCom still works on ioFTPD, but not with the resources they would like to (due to reasons stated above).

One thing I don’t understand is seeking gain for “consumer fraud”, as you call it. You purchased a product and you received it, transaction complete. How exactly were you defrauded? Nowhere in ioFTPD’s license agreement does it state you are entitled to future releases; IniCom provides them free of charge.

Before contacting a lawyer, did you make an effort to contact IniCom directly (e-mail, phone, etc.)? Since you’re unsatisfied with the product, did you ask IniCom if they have a return policy?

Disclaimer: My views in no way reflect those of IniCom’s, it’s just my take on the situation.

P.S. I split this from the previous thread, since it was unrelated.
Darkone was the original programmer of ioFTPd, yes. Inicom purchased ioFTPd and Darkone was working for them and just vanished.. yes. So what.. Inicom now OWNS ioFTPd.

Surely they have someone on their staff that can resume the project to take it to completion.

Inicom has committed consumer fraud by selling licenses to ioFTPd 0.5.84 and stating that version 1.0 is:
Quote:
ioFTPD v1.0 Final is in its final stages of completion. More than a year in the making, ioFTPD v1.0 Final is a rock solid version of the beta version of ioFTPD that was released more than a year ago. ioFTPD v1.0 Final was designed with high performance and scalability in mind. While v1.0 Final is functionally similar to the beta version, v1.0 Final contains numerous changes and major rewrites to the original code base.
It has also done the same by stringing alone previous users who have purchased the program that this "verson 1.0" is "just around the corner" for almost a year.

That is blatant false advertisement, and the lawyer that I spoke to in New Mexico today believes that based on the content that he saw on the main site and these forums, that a class action suit under the terms of consumer fraud would not be a hard case to prove in this event.

You asked if I tried to contact Inicom directly... I have. Via email. I was told that version 1.0 was in the works and would be released "shortly". That was March 2005. This is June 2006.

There is a user on these boards called "IniCom" and one could only assume that he/she works there, and has numerously posted about Darkone and the trials that this has caused on the company and the project. So when I post here, I assume that I am talking to the company as there IS a representative that posts and obviously reads these boards.

You also mention that this project hardly makes any money so it is not a priority for them. If Inicom recieves $1 from a user with the expectation that something else is coming in the future due to advertising from them, they better be spending time on the project and making it a priority. If not, managing resources will be the last of their concerns...
Webkikr is offline   Reply With Quote